An idea on how to get the voice of children and young people heard in the snap 2015 general election.
The idea is straight-forward:
Parents: ask your children to do the research, and make a recommendation on who to vote for.
- Find out who the candidates are – https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/
- Discuss and decide what criteria you want to judge candidates and manifestos on – what are the issues and how important is each one to them?
- Ask them to read the manifestoes
- Ask them to come up with a list of Qs to put to all of the candidates standing in your area
- You email the text of the questions to all of the candidates – telling them that your children will be reading their answers and making a recommendation on who to vote for on the basis of those answers – a recommendation you’ll follow through
- Ask your children to read the answers and make a recommendation
- Take your children to the polling station on voting day
- Vote according to their recommendation
Job done – and your children get to take part in democracy in action.